Harry’s shave shop closes after owner was jailed for shoplifting
HARRY’s shave and hair salon in the Melbourne CBD has closed after its owner was sentenced to jail for shoplifting.
Key points:The owner was found guilty of shoplifting from Harry’s on August 15, 2017Harry’s was a popular stop for visitors to the CBDHarry’s was located in the CBD but closed in 2018Harry was a well-known stop for visiting Harrys customersHarry and his brother, Josh, owned Harry’s Shaving Club until August 2017.
On Friday, Judge Simon Dickson sentenced Harry and Josh to four months in jail.
Harry had been arrested on August 12, 2017 after being caught in the act by police and was charged with shoplifting, possessing stolen property and theft.
Josh was also charged with theft.
He pleaded guilty and was sentenced on Friday.
In mitigation, Harry’s lawyer said he was “shocked” and “disappointed” at the sentencing, while Josh’s lawyer told the court his client had “no intention” of paying the $1,000 fine.
“It is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that you will not be receiving any further sentence,” the judge said.
“I would also like to thank your family for their support throughout this process.”
We are confident that you and your family will be rehabilitated through your time in prison.”‘
I’m really happy with it’Harry told News24 that he was happy with the sentence.”
If it wasn’t for the people who’ve been helping me through this, I’m really, really happy,” he said.”[It’s] not the end of the world, but it’s the end,” he added.”
My brother has been a great help to me, he’s been a friend, he helped me get my job back, he has helped me with my legal fees, he just put me straight and everything.
“The closure of Harry’s comes as the city’s homeless population continues to rise.
A 2017 report by the Department of Planning and the Environment (DPPE) found that about 3,500 people were living in the city centre, with the majority sleeping rough.